http://www.techkriti.org/ February 11-14, 2010 in India
notes for the trip to Techkriti
1 hr Presentation
- Marnia 5-10 min - Art, Why I do this
- Video 10 min
in front of 1,200 people, "including IITK students, Professors and students from colleges all over the country". They'll supply 2 mikes, 1 LCD projector, internet, sound and 2 techkriti volunteers Headed by Jon and Marnia
Jon "I'd have no problem talking for 30 minutes on just the technical aspects"
Jon "it's good if each of us gives a separate presentation"
- 5 min overview
- 5 min VIDA video
- 10 min technical talk by Niladri
- 5 min Machine and fire art culture (Burning Man et all) providing inspiration
- 10 min art talk by Marnia
- 20 min Q&A
Best to shy away from live demos, they often don't work. Use slides instead.
Kanpur is in the IST time zone, the same as Delhi, 12 1/2 hrs forward of us (if it's 12pm Monday PST, it's 12:30am Tuesday there)
Marnia, Lee, Jon
EK226 depart SFO Feb 4 15:45. 15hr 40min on Emirates Air
arrive DBX Feb 5 19:25
EK512 depart DBX Feb 5 22:10 on Emirates Air
arrive DEL Feb 6 2:40
Ankit arranged for a driver to take us to a hotel
Ankit arranged a hotel in Delhi
Ankit arranged a driver from Delhi to Kanpur
We have to arrange our own hotel on the way to Kanpur
Ankit arranged a hotel at IIT
Depart Kanpur (KNU) 16:10 on Air India
arrive DEL 17:45
Note: Air India only has 1 flight/day KNU->DEL
EK515 depart DEL Feb 16 21:40 on Emirates Air
arrive DXB 23:59
~~stay one night in Dubai
EK225 depart DBX Feb 18 8:55 on Emirates Air
arrive SFO Feb 18 12:55
Nildadri will reach Kanpur on 10th(morning) and leave on the 15th(afternoon)
Sight to See
- Indian Bahá'í Temple in Delhi
- Red Fort near delhi
- Taj Mahal (between Delhi and Kanpur)
- Fatehpur Sikri(close to Agra) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatehpur_Sikri
- ride a painted elephant (Marnia's request!)
- gotta geta Gnesh for Marnia's Josh
- "One of my favorite parts of Delhi was Chandni Chowk (an old market that ends up at a mosque). AFAIK this isn't on the normal tourist path but I enjoyed the extra chaos" A. Hupp
- a modern IIT shirt for Lee's Marah
- A Gnesh for Charlotte's statuary and/or a fitted shirt
sites to see sights to see
Orbs left San Francisco Jan 22nd, to arrive Kanpur Feb 8 via Brian Closs, MMI Logistics, Compton, CA 310-679-4018.
MMI will build international crates in Compton
- Ivan from Clock Freight picked up the orbs on 1-22-10 (Lee has photos)
- 650-871-7499 - nick from Clock freight. He called 1-26-10 when TSA paperwork was misplaced. Lee faxed the paperwork.
Get them here: http://www.sfcdcp.org/aitc.html
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/default.htm (has a couple charts of what to get)
Lee went to the San Francisco Adult Immunization and Travel Clinic. He made an appointment 3 days in advance. It took about 1.5 hours with the interview, shots and discussion.
At San Francisco Adult Immunization and Travel Clinic Lee received:
- Typoid - 4 pills taken every other day for 8 days. Take at least 1 week before travel. Don't take with antibiotics (my antimalarial is an antibiotic!). Effective for 5 years.
- Antimalarial - Doxycycline - 1 pill a day starting 2 days before travel, ending 28 days after. No possibility of psychosis like many antimalarials!. Effective only as long as you take it
- Polio - injection. You should get 1 booster in a lifetime. This was it.
- Tdap - Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis. injection. Effective for 10 years
- Hepatitis A - injection. Effective for 10 years. I need to go back in 6 months for a booster
- Cipro - oral antibacterial to take with me in case of illness while travelling
- Hep B immunization (Lee already got in 2005. Effective for 10 years.)
- Measles - 2 shots needed in a lifetime. By 1990 almost all colleges required boosters. Effective for life.
- Ultrathon insect repellent
Total bill from San Francisco Department of Health: $307
He picked up azithromycin and doxycycline prescriptions from Costco for $17 total. You don't need a membership to buy from their pharmacy. And wow, that was inexpensive antimalarial compared to the others!
- 220v 50hz, different plug. Niladri recommends buying converter plugs in India
- Lee has asked for American electricity at Techkriti
- Make sure your small electronics can handle the different electricity
Other International Notes
Delhi and Dubai airports are both in the top 3 for delayed flights . Be ready to wait. :-(
Call Credit Card companies to tell them you're travelling abroad so they don't suspect something weird with your card
Brian recommended I get a carnet from Trade Beam 650-653-4800. It'd cost approx $175.
I put notes on the outside of the crates in clear plastic envelopes. The notes are:
- The Invitation from Techkriti on their letterhead
- A photo of the contents of the box
- A photo of the robots in motion all put together
- Instructions on how to open the crates "Undo screws with purple spray paint on them to open"
put on commercial invoice: "Not for sale or resale. For demo purposes only. All items to be returned to the USA after demonstration"
Lee will add notes on getting a visa here eventually... $120... where to get it... invitation...
Carry a digital camera and photograph all important papers that you sign etc. For example, I signed a TSA Known Shipper document when the freight company came to pick up the orbs. I took photographs of those documents. Good thing because the freight company called me today because they misplaced them. I was able to fax them copies. It would have taken 1-3 days for them to come out and inspect the property again.
What to Pack
general temperature may be be 45 to 80 long sleeve shirts vs mosquitos (Malaria) iodine tablets bug spray with at least 30-50% DEET alcohol cleaner for washing hands before eating pepto bismol, use preventatively sun screen drink some grapefruit seed extract antiviral/bacterial. a couple drops in a drink each day bring cipro just in case
Communication / Cell Phone Service
Lee's iPhone AT&T rep says Kanpur has very poor cell phone reception. voice is very expensive ($2.50/min with no voicemail service), texting is better. Other options???
Lisa will be getting them made up
T-shirt Schwag for Volunteers
- Dillo bought 2 "I fought the Laws" shirts from woot
- need some more
- Niladri got 4 Mythbusters DVDs