This is a proposed licensing scheme. It is being reworded from our previous licensing to allow commercial reuse --Lee 03:22, 8 January 2009 (UTC)
Licensing Intention Statement
It is the intention of SWARM to have the project under licenses that allow anyone to use and modify our work for noncommercial purposes as long as they give us credit for the original inspiration. If you'd like to use the project for commercial purposes, please contact us at info at orbswarm dot com.
It is the intention of SWARM to have the project under licenses that allow anyone to use, modify and redistribute our work as long as they publicly give SWARM credit for the portions based on our work. Contact info at orbswarm dot com for more information.
Determining exact licensing for all parts of a project like this can be difficult because of the many parts involved...
- Text, documentation and images get Copyright / Creative Commons licenses
- Depending on its origins, some software has the "infectious" GPL copy-left, some has the MIT license, some Berkeley, some Copyright/Creative Commons.
- Some portions of the design are patentable, some trademarkable, some copywritable, some licensable.
Follow our ongoing discussion on the matter.
Licensing Statement: May 12, 2008
- Portions of the software code are licensed under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2, June 1991(GPLv2). Such source code is noted as such. Based on this license.
- Portions of the software code are released under the terms of the MIT License. Such source code is noted as such. Based on this license.
- The portions of the project that are not explicitly covered by the GPL or MIT License, sections that would normally be covered under copyright law instead of software licenses are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License. This includes but is not limited to schematics, printed circuit boards, CAD files, photographs, the wiki, the blog, etc. Based on this license.
- When an outside performer works on the project, their work is not automatically subject to the licenses mentioned above. Such matters are negotiated with the outside performer. For example, when an outside performer adds sound clips to the orbs for a performance, licensing is arranged separately. Contact SWARM for more information.