In The Media
Video Highlights, "What is SWARM?":
- A spot on the local evening news, August 2007
- Video created for the VIDA art competition, March 2008 (this video on Youtube)
- "SWARM Hits the Sand" on Current.tv, Burning Man 2007
- SWARM At the Box Shop on Current.tv August 2007
- Musical, artistic Video of the Nov 17 2011 Cal Academy event by Octotod
Learn more about the SWARM Project
SWARM Photo and Video Sets
In a Cast
Dillo writes on 5-2-13: I was over @ TechShop last night and ran into our own Corey "Fro". As some of you may or may not know, I broke a finger on my longboard last month. It's been in a cast for about 3 weeks, still got a couple more to go. Anyway, our Mr. Fro did me the favor of decorating it, SWARM-style :)
Feb 23, 2012
Flux Foundation Fundraiser
December 8, 2011
November 17, 2011
An orb placed on display in the main City Hall library in San Jose, CA, January 2011
SWARM presented at Techkriti, India Institute of Technology Kanpur India, February 2010
Low quality audio of our presentation (1 hour, 140 megabytes) 
Techkriti SWARM images taken by Tasha Gilbey, studying at Glyndwr, Wrexham.
Popular Mechanics Maker Faire 2009
Here is a Popular Mechanics Magazine online article from June 2, 2009
Orb without Shell
Google IO Developer Conference
(click to play the video. Click the icon to make full screen)
Maker Faire 2009
California Academy of Sciences
GPS Tests with Dillo
Scottsdale Waterfront Night Lights
 The Swarmies Collective!
Sticker Giant TV mention
Burning Man 2008
- December 11th - I Love My Creations
- December 11th - Outside refuse that was the man. The Swarm and its (edit: many) creator(s).
- These things (I think there were four or five of them) were my boyfriends favorite art project on the playa. I heard more about them than I ever wanted to. Apparently these balls know where all the other balls like them are and interact in a swarm-like manner. At some unlucky moment in my life I could have told you the reason why this is the coolest thing EVAR OMG WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND. But whatever; he is tolerant while I take my pictures, the least I can do is pretend to care about why these cool looking balls are fucking amazing. And, of course, take (one of) the creators picture.
- Edit: Tad, the guy in the picture, has written me to let me know he is but one of many creators. Spread the love (blame) for these cool little orbs around!
Via SuicideBots Article
Apparently, the right people read SuicideBots. One post bred 3 in other media.
Not Sorted Yet
The title page of Chapter 12 of Learning Computing With Robots Image:Chapter12.pdf edited by Deepak Kumar. Next to the image reads the following:
Fast, Cheap & Out of Control
We suggest that within a few years it will be possible at modest cost to invade a planet with millions of tiny robots… With imagination and nerve we can invade the whole solar system. From a paper titled, Fast, cheap and out of control: A robot invasion of the solar system, Rodney Brooks and Anita M. Flynn, Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, Volume 42, pp 478-485, 1989. Opposite page: Orb Swarms Used with permission, Copyright Phil Spitler (www.orbswarm.com)
Oh the Places You'll Roll, a poem by Jon Foote
These are SWARMies individual photos that haven't been sorted through yet to find the gems.
Marc's Coachella pix: http://www.hertlein.org/pictures/2008-04-25_Coachella/index.html
Marc's Yuri's night: http://www.hertlein.org/pictures/2008-04-13_Yuris_night/index.html
Michael Box Shop shots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73705717@N00/sets/72157604419777700/
Maker Faire 2008
NY Times article SWARM is mentioned in the 3rd paragraph and as a Web Link on the left
Pendulum, Aesop Rock, Les Savy Fav and More Listening Post from Wired.com http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/04/coachella-aphex.html
This orb-lamp went to one of the heads of Coachella. :-)
Flash video from Coachella (click to play the video. Click the icon to make full screen)
Yuri's Night 2007
At NASA Ames, April 14, 2008
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laughingsquid/2410797121/ by Scott Beale (CC by-nc-nd-2.0)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smashz/2412213920/in/set-72157604526326027/ by smashz (CC by-nc-nd-2.0)
Somarts Benefit for Todd Blair
Video created for VIDA 10.0 10-20-07
A 10 minute long video for the VIDA art competition. Below are several different renderings of the same video.
- on the SWARM blog
- on Youtube
- higher resolution (mpeg4 1kbps 74megabyte) version
- a DVD quality version is available from Lee Sonko
Burning Man Decompression 2007
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikz/1515364699/ (CC original_MikZ on Flickr by-nc-nd-2.0)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13796503@N02/1555449034/ (C michicat / Michi Catanese)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13796503@N02/1555428106/ (C michicat / Michi Catanese)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13796503@N02/1555427422/ (C michicat / Michi Catanese)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25381805@N00/1512677164/ (C actuellecowgirl on Flickr)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smashz/1529473961/ (CC smashz / Scott Ashkenaz by-nc-nd-2.0)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smashz/1530334192/ (CC smashz / Scott Ashkenaz by-nc-nd-2.0)
Burning Man 2007
From Mark's friend Chris. (Excellent photos!) (C chrisversionx on Flickr, permission granted by Chris Demas to SWARM "for whatever you'd like" 4-13-08)
(C James Stauffer)
(C Dawn Ryan)
Neil Kandalgaonkar (CC Neil Kandalgaonkar by-nc-2.0)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brevity/1339468585/in/photostream/ the quote that goes with it, "One of my favorite pieces at Burning Man. Autonomous spherical robots. See orbswarm.com. One of them got stuck underneath an art car and I kicked it loose. Thereafter it started following me around like a puppy. I'm not sure if someone was controlling it or if it somehow just knew. I saw the guys who made it standing around nearby, but none of them had a controller out. "
(you can use a fake email with a good domain to register.) In these pix is the makings of the Men of SWARM calendar. Pix from Niladri's friend Jill.
Simone Davalos. Taken at Burning Man 2007
(CC Simone Davalos by-nc-nd-2.0)
ABC Local News with Richard Hart
Click for video and transcript of a short television news video that was done July 2007. http://lee.org/blog/2007/08/23/were-on-tv/
Find PDF and PPT presentations that we've used in the Subversion tree here: http://svn.lee.org/swarm/trunk/media/